GDF rank killed in Sheriff Street hit and run accident

first_imgA Guyana Defence Force (GDF) rank attached to the Band Corp was early Saturday morning killed in a hit and run accident along Sheriff Street, Georgetown.Dead: Lashana MooreLashana Moore, 22, of Lot 917 Providence, East Bank Demerara, was reportedly struck by two cars at about 05:30h as she attempted to cross Sheriff Street in the vicinity of Campbellville Secondary School.After receiving the first hit, the woman was toss several feet in the air and landed on the roadway and was again hit by another moving vehicle that was passing at the same time. Both cars drove off the scene but one was subsequently found abandoned at Freeman Street, East La Penitence, Georgetown without the driver.The woman who has a seven-month-old child died on the spot but was taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital where doctors pronounced her dead on arrival. From reports received, the woman left Camp Ayanganna after receiving a telephone call.At the home of the dead woman on Saturday morning, her weeping mother, Denise Moore explained that she received a telephone call from one of her daughter’s friends who informed her of the accident. She hurriedly rushed to the scene where she saw her daughter’s motionless body lying on the roadway.She recalled that her daughter’s head was bloodied and it sustained a puncture. She later learnt that her daughter had exited a taxi and was about to cross the road when she was struck by two vehicles. One of the drivers, she noted, was arrested while the other escaped.The woman further recalled that her daughter had telephoned her on Friday informing her that she will collect her daughter to braid her hair. “She does normally stay at Camp Ayanganna and come out on weekends and collect her daughter to take her for outings,” the distraught mother cried.She noted that her grandchild stays with her great grandmother in Grove, East Bank Demerara. After the accident, she claimed that she was made to understand that her daughter received a telephone call and left without informing anyone about her whereabouts.“It could be that she was getting a drop to collect her daughter and then head home… we don’t know but she was a very loving child”.Moore joined the Guyana Defence Force four years ago and would have been part of the Band Corp. Her grandmother who was also at the house and seemingly in shock told Guyana Times that she would have received the unfortunate news at about 06:30h on Saturday morning. She iterated that the young woman has left a young baby who will now grow not knowing her mother.She said that she took care of the child so that Moore could be a part of the military. The devastated elderly woman recalled that her now dead granddaughter was a loving individual who was always jovial. She also loved to party, the aggrieved grandmother stated.The woman’s body is at the Lyken’s Funeral Home awaiting a post-mortem examination. She leaves to mourn her mother, daughter and three siblings. The Police have since confirmed that they have arrested one man in connection with the incident as investigations continue.last_img