Aston Villa goalkeeper signs new deal and extends Championship loan spell

first_imgAston Villa goalkeeper Jed Steer has signed a new contract with the club and extended his loan spell at Huddersfield.Steer, who joined Villa from Norwich in June 2013, has put pen to paper on a fresh deal with the Premier League side which will run to the summer of 2019.The 23-year-old moved to Huddersfield on an emergency loan in September and has featured five times for the Championship team. He will remain in West Yorkshire until November 11”I am delighted to commit my future here at Villa,” Steer told the club’s official website.“It’s a fantastic place to be – but I am also enjoying getting regular football at Huddersfield Town too.“It’s been good for my football education. Today’s been a good day and I’m focused on pushing forward now.” 1 Jed Steer last_img read more

Read More →

Jose Mourinho ‘sorry’ that Champions League win is highlight of Chelsea’s season

first_img Jose Mourinho Jose Mourinho admits he is sorry that qualification for the last 16 of the Champions League is the best he can give the Chelsea fans.The Blues ended the group stages in first place thanks to a 2-0 victory over Porto, where Willian starred again.And Mourinho thinks the club aren’t getting any luck in the Premier League, which has destroyed the confidence of his players, thus impeding their performances.Mourinho told BT Sport 2: “I think they were really committed to getting a result, for their pride and because they didn’t want to go to the Europa League.“We are not lucky in the Premier League and luck is part of the game. In the Premier League, it looks like everything goes against us. The players are feeling that and it’s a bit of an attack to their confidence and self-esteem. “Today was an important result for the players and the club. It’s very important to go through to the next stage with the best teams in Europe.“It’s the minimum we can give to our supporters, who are magnificent to us and give us in this moment more than we deserve, especially to myself. They are unbelievable in their support towards me and I feel really sorry that I can’t give them more than what I’m giving.” 1last_img read more

Read More →

Man United fans believe LVG spending £50m on this player ‘must be a joke’

first_img1 Everton defender John Stones Manchester United are said to be preparing a world-record £50m bid for Everton defender and Chelsea transfer target John Stones.The Red Devils crashed out of the Champions League after a 3-2 defeat to Wolfsburg mid-week, and since their exit, the club have been linked with a number of big-name players.And Stones is said to be a top target for Louis van Gaal.A section of the club’s supporters, though, haven’t taken to the news with the excitement that may have been expected, with some questioning whether their defence is really the area in need of improvement.Have a read below of the reaction from United fans, on Twitter, to the Stones speculation.last_img read more

Read More →

Chelsea boost as transfer target rejects Inter Milan move

first_img Jonathan Calleri Chelsea have been given a boost in their pursuit of Jonathan Calleri after the striker revealed he had snubbed an approach from Inter Milan.The Argentine was in stunning form last season and bagged 21 goals to help Boca Juniors win the league.It led to scouts from Europe travelling to South America to watch the 22-year-old and Inter had been close to a deal.However, Calleri has now revealed he has rejected an approach in favour of staying in Argentina for six more months.“It’s very hard to leave, I have everything here,” Calleri told Radio Armonia. “That’s why they say it’s the greatest club in Argentina and one of the greatest.“Right now there’s the opportunity to go abroad, but at the beginning my idea was to stay here. I’ll take the best decision together with my family.“The Premier League and Serie A are the championships best suited to my game.“I’d like to stay here another six months, but these decisions do not depend on me.” 1last_img read more

Read More →

Chelsea stuck with Radamel Falcao as Monaco refuse to cut short loan deal

first_imgMonaco have snubbed the chance to bring Radamel Falcao back from his loan at Chelsea.The striker has endured a miserable time at Stamford Bridge this season, scoring just once in 11 appearances.The Colombian has also been plagued by injury and he recently returned to Monaco to have his fitness assessed.Following that, the Ligue 1 club have now decided to reject the chance to bring Falcao back and he will remain at Chelsea until the summer.“Falcao is currently injured,” Monaco vice-president Vadim Vasilyev told the club website.“He has six to eight weeks to go like that. We have decided not to take him back to Monaco for the moment.” 1 Radamel Falcao last_img read more

Read More →

Frank Girardot: Hollywood couldn’t make up this story

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The twisted tale behind Compton’s discovery brought actors Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt and Clint Eastwood to San Dimas last week. Jolie, Pitt and Eastwood were in town to film a movie about Walter Collins, a young boy who was kidnapped outside a Los Angeles movie theater and killed on a chicken ranch in Riverside County in the spring of 1928. Collins’ kidnapping was national news. Investigators speculated about his fate and the coverage inspired a runaway from Illinois to attempt passing himself off as the missing boy in hopes of launching a movie career. An LAPD officer, so intent on getting credit for solving the case, tried to convince Collins’ mother that the imposter was in fact her son Walter. Even though she had her doubts, Walter’s mother took the runaway home “to try him out.” When she returned the boy, officials locked her up in psychiatric ward for a time. Ultimately, the boy confessed to being a fake and Collins was released. In early July 1928, a farmer named Lon Compton discovered the headless body of a young Latino boy lying in one of his fields just off Valley Boulevard in La Puente. Neither Compton nor Los Angeles County sheriff’s homicide Capt. Bill Bright had any idea the body might be connected to something larger. The captain speculated that the “dead Mexican” might have been run over by a train, according to some published reports. In fact, the find was connected to something larger and more sinister than either could imagine. That same day, a teenager named Sanford Clark, who was in LAPD custody for an immigration violation, was telling police how his grandmother and uncle had kidnapped four young boys and killed them. The uncle and grandmother were identified as Gordon and Louise Northcott. Gordon’s father, Cyrus, told detectives that the story was probably true. “I knew of the killings but never saw them,” he told police. “My wife would go to any extreme, not excepting murder, to please her son.” One of the murder victims was Collins; another, the still-unidentified Latino. The last two were brothers Louis and Nelson Winslow of Pomona. Clark said Gordon Northcott kept his victims locked in a chicken coop on the ranch in what is now Mira Loma in Riverside County. “He kept them there tied up for a long time and hurt them often,” Clark told investigators at the time. “And then he killed them one at a time with an ax.” Police checked out Clark’s story and found two shallow graves on the farm. They also found a book on airplanes that one of the Winslow boys had checked out from the Pomona Library the night he was kidnapped. There was no sign of Walter Collins. They didn’t find the Northcotts either. Mother and son had fled to their native Canada. Ultimately the pair was captured in Alberta and returned to the United States. Gordon Northcott went on trial for three murders in Riverside County in January 1929 and was hanged in San Quentin in 1930. Louise Northcott confessed to killing Collins. Her written confession was matter- of-fact in tone and substance: “I hearby confess that I murdered that certain boy named Walter Collins at our ranch in Riverside County.” Weeks after making the confession, Louise Northcott recanted from her cell at San Quentin. She thought it would end the case against her son. It didn’t end Christine Collins’ search for the truth. I don’t know the whole script, but my bet is that Jolie is playing Walter’s mom in “The Changling.” I wonder if the movie will end the way it did for Christine Collins. Northcott requested she come to visit him at San Quentin in the hours before he was executed. He promised to tell her what happened to Walter. Northcott reneged on the promise. With Christine Collins in the viewing gallery, 22-year-old Gordon Northcott was led to the gallows whimpering and blindfolded. His last words as the black hood and noose were put over his head were “don’t, don’t.” Christine Collins spent the rest of her life searching for the truth about her son Walter. No one ever reported what Collins’ last words were, nor the Winslow boys, nor that of the boy found in the La Puente field. One can only imagine. frank.girardot@sgvn.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2717 Frank Girardot is the city editor of the San Gabriel Valley Tribune. Visit his blog at www.insidesocal.com/sgvcrime160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More →

One dead on I-5 in big-rig crash

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! One person is dead after a big rig overturned on northbound Interstate 5 Saturday night, California Highway Patrol Officer David Porter said. The tractor-trailer caught on fire and went over an embankment south of Calgrove Boulevard. The incident happened at 7:47 p.m. The far right lane of I-5 was closed starting at approximately 8:30 p.m.last_img read more

Read More →

DONEGAL NEWSPAPER GROUP SOLD

first_imgTHE Donegal Democrat newspaper group has been sold, it has been announced.“Staff have been informed that on Friday, February 14th, a newly formed company, Formpress Publishing Limited will take ownership of all Johnston Press newspaper titles in the Republic of Ireland,” said a statement from the newspaper.“It’s not expected that any job losses will result from the takeover. “Within the new structure the Donegal Democrat Group of Newspapers will become part of a Republic of Ireland media organisation that includes titles such as the Leitrim Observer, Kilkenny People, Limerick Leader and the Longford Leader.”The papers here in Donegal have been owned by Johnston Press, a British-based newspaper company.The new company was founded six days ago and is registered at 7 Fields Terrace, Ranelagh, Dublin 6.   DONEGAL NEWSPAPER GROUP SOLD was last modified: February 5th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal Democratformpresssoldlast_img read more

Read More →

Arsenal and Liverpool target Lucas Biglia ‘not thinking about leaving’ Lazio

first_img1 Lazio captain Lucas Biglia Lucas Biglia has told Arsenal and Liverpool he is ‘not thinking about leaving’ Lazio.The Argentina international midfielder has been chased by the Premier League pair for over a year but the Italian side have refused to sell their captain.And now the 30-year-old has backed up his club’s determination to keep him by revealing that he wants to remain in Rome.“I’m doing really well here, I’m not thinking about leaving,” Biglia said to Il Messaggero.“But now I want to focus only on the end of the season. It is important to finish the season well.”last_img read more

Read More →

Headline

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!,article 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!,article 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!,article AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anitacenter_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! article last_img read more

Read More →