Israelis urged to quickly release findings of probe into shelling of Palestinian TV cameraman

first_img Follow the news on Israel April 21, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Israelis urged to quickly release findings of probe into shelling of Palestinian TV cameraman Israel now holding 13 Palestinian journalists Help by sharing this information WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists Reuters cameraman Fadel Shanaa (photo) was killed by a shell fired by an Israeli tank while he was filming an Israeli incursion into the Gaza Strip on 16 April. “The statements of witnesses and the evidence at the scene disturbingly indicate that a serious criminal error was committed by Israeli soldiers,” Reporters Without Borders said. June 3, 2021 Find out more News May 28, 2021 Find out more RSF asks ICC prosecutor to say whether Israeli airstrikes on media in Gaza constitute war crimes News RSF_en IsraelMiddle East – North Africa Receive email alerts News IsraelMiddle East – North Africa News May 16, 2021 Find out more There are signs that an Israeli tank crew committed a “serious criminal error” when it fired a shell that killed Fadel Shanaa, 23, a Palestinian cameraman employed by the British news agency Reuters, as he was filming an Israeli incursion into the Gaza Strip on 16 April, Reporters Without Borders said today. Shanaa’s soundman, Wafa Abu Mizyed, was injured in the shelling, which the Israeli authorities have said they are investigating.“The statements of witnesses and the evidence at the scene disturbingly indicate that a serious criminal error was committed by Israeli soldiers,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Shanaa and Abu Mizyed were in an open area. No building obstructed the tank crew’s view and the journalists’ vehicle was marked with ‘TV’ in big letters. They also had ‘TV’ on their vests. They were not near any military target and were being followed by children from the nearby Al-Barij refugee camp. So the tank crew was not acting in legitimate self-defence.”The press freedom organisation added: “An investigation is essential to determine the exact circumstances of the incident and the findings must be published as quickly as possible. The Israeli military’s responsibility must be clearly established and sanctions must be taken against those who fired the shot. Israeli soldiers guilty of criminal negligence or deliberately firing at journalists have in the past be exonerated by their superiors. This must nor recur.”Reporters Without Borders also condemns Israel’s used of fragmentation weapons in areas where civilians, including journalists, are present.Shanaa and Abu Mizyed were wearing bullet-proof vests that were not designed for the steel fragments released by the exploding Israeli shell. They were about 1 kilometre from the Israeli tank they were filming.“We got out of the car to film the overall scene,” Abu Mizyed said. “Fadel was asking me to get the children following us to move away when the shell hit. I was thrown several metres. An ambulance took us to a hospital but Fadel died on the way. He was hit in the neck and chest.” Other journalists on the scene said there had been no exchange of shots during the 15 minutes before the fatal shell was fired. Organisation to go furtherlast_img read more

Read More →

Naked Teen Triple Murder Suspect Arrested After Trying to Flee Police

first_imgThere’s always a Florida connection: Matthew Bernard is a Virginia man accused of killing his mother, sister and 1-year-old nephew at his home in rural Pittsylvania County, authorities say. He was apprehended running around naked outside. The victims include 24-year-old Emily Bernard Bivens and Cullen Bivens, the wife and son of Tampa Bay Rays pitching prospect Blake Bivens. Bernard’s 62-year-old mother, Joan Bernard, was also killed. The 19-year-old Bernard was taken into custody by police while running naked through Keeling, Virginia, hours after the murders. He has since been booked into a local jail, authorities said.vmargineanu/iStock(KEELING, Va.) — A teenage suspect in a triple murder in Virginia was taken into custody after fleeing from authorities while naked.Matthew Bernard, 18, of Keeling, Virginia, was arrested on three counts of first-degree murder on Tuesday afternoon, according to the Pittsylvania County Sheriff’s Office. He is believed to have shot and killed three relatives at a home in Keeling, an unincorporated area near Virginia’s southern border with North Carolina.While responding to a 911 call about someone being shot on Tuesday morning, deputies found the body of one of the victims, a woman, in the driveway of the residence, while the two other victims — a child and a second woman — were found dead inside the home, the sheriff’s office said.The bodies were taken to the Roanoke office of Virginia’s medical examiner for autopsies to determine the cause and manner of death. The victims’ names will be released once family members have been notified, according to the sheriff’s office.Danville Community College in Danville, Virginia, was under lock-down Tuesday as a “precautionary” measure after Bernard, who was a student there, was identified as the suspect at-large in the slayings, according to the Danville Police Department. He was said to be armed and dangerous.ABC affiliate WSET-TV of Lynchburg, Virginia, was in a media staging area at the scene in Keeling that afternoon when suddenly Bernard, who wasn’t wearing any clothes, ran out from a nearby wooded area and attacked a church groundskeeper then took off again. Authorities chased Bernard down the street and were able to apprehend the teen, who was taken to a local hospital for treatment, according to WSET.The investigation is ongoing, and Bernard’s first court appearance has not yet been scheduled, according to the sheriff’s office. Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read More →

Wallsend Touch recognised

first_imgWallsend were awarded the Good Sports Club of the Year for the safe practices they have implemented for their players, committee and supporters. The Good Sports Club of the Year is an initiative from the Australian Drug Foundation which encourages community sporting groups to responsibly manage alcohol consumption.After receiving the award from Newcastle Lord Mayor John Tate, Wallsend Touch administrator Julie Andrews said the club had concentrated on providing a family friendly environment. Touch Football Australia would like to congratulate Wallsend Touch Association for their efforts and recommends other clubs following their footsteps. For more information about the program and to sign your club up please visit the Good Sports Website  Thanks to Kellie Johnston for providing the content for this article.last_img read more

Read More →

New Zealand Preview – Trans Tasman 2010

first_imgThe series opened last night with a Pre-Match dinner at which Steve Price presented on what it takes to be represent your country, be the best you can be and have self confidence to win.  He then interviewed all the captains and it was obvious the desire and focus each team has to win this.  Both teams stated how important this series is going into the World Cup in Scotland 2011. To see the full story, please visit the New Zealand Trans Tasman website:http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-6976-0-0-0&news_task=DETAIL&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=11112994&sectionID=125624last_img read more

Read More →

Volunteer Grants Available

first_imgThe Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (FAHCSIA) Volunteer Grants 2013 are now available. Volunteer Grants 2013 recognises the valuable work of Australia’s volunteers. This initiative forms part of the Australian Government’s ongoing commitment to organisations whose volunteers assist disadvantaged communities and encourage inclusion of vulnerable people in community life. Funding of $16 million is available to support and encourage volunteering.  Eligible not-for-profit community organisations can apply for grants between $1,000 and $5,000 to:·         Purchase portable, tangible, small equipment items to help their volunteers;·         Contribute to the reimbursement of fuel costs for their volunteers who use their own car to transport others to activities, deliver food, assist with medical appointments or help people in need;·         Contribute to the reimbursement of transport costs incurred by volunteers with disability who are unable to drive;·         Contribute to the cost of training courses and/or undertake background screening checks for their volunteers.Funding is limited and applications will be assessed and prioritised according to how strongly they meet the selection criteria. The selection criteria, eligibility requirements and other essential information about Volunteer Grants 2013 are provided in the Application Guidelines below:·         Volunteer Grants 2013 Application GuidelinesApplications close on Wednesday, 24 April 2013 at 5pm AEST. For more information please click on the following link:http://www.fahcsia.gov.au/communities-and-vulnerable-people/grants-funding/volunteer-grants-2013-call-for-applications-now-open Related LinksVolunteer Grantslast_img read more

Read More →

Position Vacant: Community Engagement Coordinator

first_imgAre you an innovative person, that is both community minded and enjoys making a difference to people’s lives?Are you looking for a thrilling career in what will arguably be ‘Australia’s largest sporting community’? Touch Football Australia (TFA) is calling for suitably qualified applicants for the position of Community Engagement Coordinator in our National Office in Canberra (Deakin). The Community Engagement Coordinator role provides a critical function in the TFA National Sport Operations Unit. The key focus of the role is to develop and drive the delivery of the TFA Strategic Plan and Participation Plan (2011-2015), with particular emphasis on the implementation and support of improved engagement and relationships with the Touch Football community, specifically the following key stakeholders/areas:o    International interaction and communication; o    Expanding participation and formalising relationships within specific segments including female, multicultural, and disability areas; ando    Referee Engagement – events and logistics.  The Community Engagement Coordinator reports to and works closely with the General Manager, National Sport Operations (SO), other TFA portfolios, national/state operational staff and the breadth of the wider Touch Football affiliate network of up to 320 associations.  Candidates will be required to provide a Curriculum Vitae and a two page letter of introduction addressing the role’s selection criteria, a strong desire to work in the sporting industry and any supporting comments aligned to the position description.Applications close 5pm Sunday, 13 October 2013.  To view the position description and TFA Certified Agreement please click on the following attachments.For enquiries about this exciting opportunity, email [email protected] .Related Files130924_community_engagement_coordinator_job_description_final-pdftfa_certified_agreement-pdfRelated LinksPosition Vacantlast_img read more

Read More →

9 months agoLiverpool boss Klopp urged to forget about new centre-half signing

first_imgLiverpool boss Klopp urged to forget about new centre-half signingby Paul Vegas9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Chelsea striker Tony Cascarino says Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp doesn’t need to buy a new centre-half this month.Klopp’s Liverpool team recorded an impressive win against Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday to maintain their position at the top of the Premier League table. Injuries to Joel Matip and Joe Gomez left Liverpool short on central defensive options and forced Klopp to drop midfielder Fabinho back into defence. “Jurgen Klopp deserves a lot of credit for playing Fabinho at centre-back against Brighton & Hove Albion,” Cascarino wrote in his Times column. “I don’t understand why more teams don’t do something similar.“Yes he’s a defensive midfielder but they can do a job at the back. Most teams don’t play two strikers anyway these days and the likes of Fabinho, Nemanja Matic and Fernandinho could all do it. Liverpool don’t need to waste any money on a centre back this month. And, let’s face it, I could probably play alongside Virgil van Dijk.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More →

Jahlil Okafor Is “Obsessed” With Netflix, Believes In Mermaids, Loves Documentaries About Bigfoot

first_imgJahlil Okafor and Tyus Jones at McDonald's All-American Game.Twitter/@BigJah15 Twitter/@BigJah15Twitter/@BigJah15Duke freshman Jahlil Okafor is a 6-foot-10 center with one of the most refined offensive post-games in college basketball, and is almost guaranteed to be the top overall pick in this year’s NBA Draft. That we all know. The Wall Street Journal dug a bit deeper into the Blue Devils star, and found out that he’s much more than a talented basketball player… he is also a very unique personality. Specifically, he loves cryptozoology and is adamant about the existence of mermaids.Okafor is obsessed with Netflix. He keeps a teenager’s diet of action movies and soapy television series, but his secret soft spot is for documentaries about odd phenomena—the weirder, the better. Okafor is well-versed in the legend of Bigfoot, for example. He also likes mermaids.“That’s always been my interest,” Okafor said. “Things of the unknown.”…What he likes to do instead—when he’s not playing basketball, of course—is watch television by himself. He has a taste for the mythical. Okafor has tipped multiple people off to a Discovery Channel special that promised new evidence that mermaids are real.“I tried to tell them,” he said. “They wouldn’t listen.”He was doing this in high school, too. Okafor once raved to his coach about a Bigfoot documentary he had just devoured. “He tried to get me to watch that,” said Tyrone Slaughter. “I was like: I’m not watching that.”His college teammates now know who to ask if they ever need a movie recommendation. Okafor even found a kindred spirit in his roommate Tyus Jones, who joined him for a documentary about monster snakes, though he struggled to remember the exact names of Okafor’s favorite films. “A lot of them are just about nature,” Jones said.Jones added: “He’d be a good person to talk to during Shark Week. That’s the kind of stuff he’s really into. And I’m a pretty big fan of Shark Week, too.”Luckily for Duke fans, the Blue Devils’ title hopes are a bit more believable than many of the things that Okafor binge-watches.[WSJ via SB Nation]last_img read more

Read More →

BC to argue for injunction on Albertas turn off the taps law

first_imgThe Federal Court of Appeal quashed the approval months later, demanding more consultation with First Nations and a study into the pipeline’s potential impact on marine wildlife.The project was approved for a second time by the federal cabinet last week. The legislation was passed, but never used, by Alberta’s former NDP government as a way to put pressure on the province’s western neighbour to drop its fight against the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.The new United Conservative government in Alberta proclaimed it into force shortly after Premier Jason Kenney was sworn in.He has said he doesn’t intend to use the turn-off-the-taps law right now, but he will if B.C. throws up roadblocks to the pipeline.The project, first approved in 2016, would triple the amount of oil flowing from the oilsands to B.C.’s Lower Mainland and from there to lucrative new markets across the Pacific.The project, first approved in 2016, would triple the amount of oil that flows from Edmonton to B.C.’s lower mainland, enabling access to new markets across the Pacific.The federal government bought the existing pipeline last year for $4.5 billion after its original builder, Texas-based Kinder Morgan, threatened to walk away from its expansion because of B.C.’s resistance. CALGARY, A.B. – British Columbia’s request for an injunction against Alberta’s so-called turn-off-the-taps law is to be heard in a Calgary courtroom today.The legislation allows Alberta to crimp energy shipments to B.C. if it stands in the way of a major pipeline expansion to the west coast.B.C. filed a statement of claim in Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench last month calling the law unconstitutional.last_img read more

Read More →

Australia Holland and Russia start talks over downed MH17

first_imgSydney: The Netherlands and Australia confirmed Wednesday that three-way talks with Russia have begun over the ongoing criminal investigation into the shooting down of Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 in 2014. The two countries announced last year they were holding Russia responsible for providing the missile fired by pro-Russian forces in war-torn Ukraine that brought down the jet, causing the deaths of all 298 people aboard. The dead included 196 people from the Netherlands and 38 from Australia. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USDutch Foreign Minister Stef Blok and his Australian counterpart Marise Payne said Wednesday that the first trilateral talks about state responsibility for the incident took place earlier this month, after diplomatic approaches were made earlier this year. “We cannot go into the content of this process because confidentiality is vital here,” Blok said at a news conference in the Australian capital, Canberra. “But I can say this: We remain committed to achieving truth, justice and accountability.” International investigators last year said they had strong evidence the Buk missile system that shot down the Boeing 777 plane came from a Russia-based military unit. Russia has denied involvement and dismissed the findings from the international criminal probe because it was not invited to be part of the investigation team. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential pollsPayne said Australia remained “a strong supporter of the Dutch national prosecution of the individuals responsible,” and pledged her country’s continuing commitment to the Dutch-Australian joint investigation into the incident. If Russia were ultimately to acknowledge some form of legal responsibility, it could lead to compensation claims from relatives of the people killed. When the Netherlands and Australia last year said they were holding Russia responsible, they quickly received backing from the United States, Britain and other allies.last_img read more

Read More →